Friday, May 11, 2007

First NLC and the WARN Act

I found a detailed list of the positions eliminated in our Orange offices at the end of March when the company notified California's state employment department for compliance with the WARN Act (it's a long document; you'll have to scroll down about 1/3 of the way - all companies are listed alphabetically). Among the positions cut: 17 account executives and 28 account managers. Interesting that the Northern California positions we eliminated during the same month are not listed. I wonder if that's why I've been hearing talk about a WARN Act lawsuit against us.

I know that the Northern California folks were not given much of a severance package when they closed Concord ops. It was something like 1 week's pay for every year of service. I guess the company was trying to cut corners (again) by separating all of the offices when reporting the layoffs.

You would think that a responsible company would take all of their planned layoffs (at least from the same state) and bundle them together in order to take care of the folks who stuck with them through these recent hard times and help them transition into the next phase of their careers, but First NLC has never been about anybody that doesn't directly service and affect the Powers That Be (our royal family) here in Deerfield.

9 comments:

Brett said...

It's on page 9 of the document.
Keep up the good work.

anon4this said...

When we were let go in Illinois some of the employees recieved a seperate list similar to the one you found, only it had names, ages and positions of the people let go. Any idea what that was about?

Thanks for the updates, great blog. Keep up the good work.

Been there said...

In Concord, we were given 1 weeks pay for every year or fration thereof worked. We also got a list but it had job title and age...no names. I'm no expert nor have I read the entire WARN act, but from what I understand an employee that has been with a company for less than 6 months is not included in the count for the WARN act. In Concord I believe this was the case. Even though we had more that 50 employees (WARN act minimum?) we had enough employees with less than 6 months service and they conviently kept the marketing department to keep us below the 50 mark. But I am wondering because they closed the Orange office less than 30 days after Concord if the counts should be combined(?).

Anna Nonymous said...

We released the West Coast marketing team in Concord before the end of March - don't know how many people were included, maybe another half-dozen or so.

Unknown said...

what is thw WARN act? Do I qualify?

Opus said...

In response to "been there"...I believe First NLC realizes they have triggered the WARN Act provisions in Concord by letting the Marketing people go and by closing the Orange wholesale branch within 30 days of the Concord event. I was employed in Concord and I just received another severance check a few days ago. I had already received my full severance under the package we were all offered and this is the only reason I can come up with to explain the additional check.

Been there said...

Opus, how many weeks pay was it? With one week for every year of service you previously received and the new check, was it a total of 60 days of pay? The WARN act requires 60 days of pay. I haven't received anything yet....do you know if anyone else has gotten another check?

Opus said...

The check was for two weeks. I would need another two weeks of pay to hit the 60 days.

I do not know if anyone else has received one.

My understanding is that the 60 days of pay is outside of any severance package the company may voluntarily offer you. If correct, we would be owed 7 weeks of pay, as we only received a weeks notice of the closing.

Been there said...

Opus, Orange only got 60 days pay....no severence. They also got whatever vacation they had coming. Hmmm....