Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Job Searches Squashed

While reviewing the infamous Bakersfield Bubble thread, I saw a few FNLC supporters saying "if you don't like it, get another job."

Well, that's harder than it looks.

We've been told that all of our work computers are being monitored to see if we are visiting any job posting sites. In addition, we have been threatened that, if any of our resumes are found on these sites, we will suffer consequences.

So tell me - how can I look for a new gig if it means I'll get fired from my current one? I'm not talking about running a job search while I'm at work - I'm talking about posting my resume to Monster or Hot Jobs from my home computer during my personal time and having some HR weasel find it and rat me out.

This is what life is like as a First NLC employee.

3 comments:

the divine miss b said...

fascinating. there was an ae in my office on the same coast as florida but further north :) who was actually fired for using his work computer to update his resume information, only because of the ever-so-evident fact that he was to be let go in the very near future for performance issues. what would you do? sorry that it's not always as easy as it seems to sell 11.25% to your local physician with a 620 FICO. several co-workers and i were approached several times during our tenure at first nlc (long before it was the lending center...i'm old school) for having active resume accounts on sites such as monster and career builder. it blows my mind that a company whose core value is based on "doing what is necessary" doesn't respect the rights of its employees to "do what is necessary". do i miss the lending center? not necessarily...

DryLine said...

This was done in the past... something current management does not approve of. If you had 1/2 a brain you would know that you can post your resume under confidential status so your current employer doesn't know your looking. Do us all a favor post your resume and go work somewhere else!

DryLine said...

Oh and another thing...you want to talk about being professional? I'm glad that idiot got fired for updating his/her resume while at work....do it at home! Professionals are smart enough to know you do these things on your own time. If he/she were dumb enough to do it and get caught you deserve to get fired!
divine miss b: It is not a right of an employee to use company property for personal use period. Get a clue!